The Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Vulvar Dermatology is a unique setting within our practice for the care of girls and adolescents with vulvar skin disorders.
Pediatric vulvar skin disorders are common and can be very distressing to girls as well as parents. Clinicians may sometimes have questions about diagnosing and treating these conditions or may feel uncomfortable managing them.
The Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Vulvar Dermatology was created to address these issues. It is place where girls with vulvar skin problems can receive expert care in a warm and supportive atmosphere and where parents can receive answers about their child's skin problem.
Some of the common vulvar skin disorders we see are:
• Lichen sclerosus
• Vulvar itching/rashes
• Atopic dermatitis
• Contact dermatitis
• Diaper dermatitis
• Hidradenitis suppurativa
• Molluscum contagiosum
• Genital warts
• Genital herpes
• Behçet's disease
• Lichen simplex chronicus
• Shaving and waxing bumps
• Skin tags
• Pigmented lesions (nevi, birthmarks)
• Vulvar ulcers
Some of the issues we deal with routinely:
• Striving to arrive at the proper diagnosis since many vulvar skin problems look alike
• Knowing which medications can safely be used on the vulva
• Helping girls deal with chronic vulvar skin conditions such as lichen sclerosus, psoriasis, and vulvar itching
• Understanding a vulvar skin problem in the context of a girl's overall health
What patients and parents can expect:
• An unhurried visit
• A detailed history
• A thorough explanation of the examination and any procedures
• A careful examination with careful attention to modesty
• A female assistant to help guide patients through the examination
What referring clinicians can expect:
• A prompt consultation report
• An immediate phone call if a serious condition exists
• Ongoing specialty care and updates
Jonathan D.K. Trager, M.D. is the founder and physician of The Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Vulvar Dermatology.
Dr. Trager is a board certified pediatrician, dermatologist, and adolescent medicine specialist who has specialized in the treatment of pediatric and adolescent vulvar skin disorders for over a decade.
He has written numerous articles about and lectured nationally on pediatric vulvar dermatology. He was the founding editor of the dermatology section for The Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology (Elsevier). He is author of "Vulvar Signs and Symptoms: Vulvar Rashes" in the "The 5-Minute Obstetrics and Gynecology Consult" (Wolters Kluwer, 2007) and of "Pediatric and Adolescent Vulvar Dermatology" in the textbook Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology (Ed. Emans SJ and Laufer MR, Lippincott Williams & Wilkin, 2011). Dr. Trager is the author of the health information sheet on Pediatric Vulvar Lichen Sclerosus published by The North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology (www.naspag.org).
Dr. Trager is on the active clinical staff of Cohen Children's Medical Center of New York, Long Island-Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, NY.
Call today to find out more about the center or to schedule an appointment.